Who imposes local property taxes?
In Ohio, all real and personal property taxes are calculated by the County Auditor and collected by the County Treasurer in each county. The amount of tax levied is based upon inside millage, which is established by state law, as well as specific tax levies passed by the voters in each jurisdiction. Property tax in Ohio is levied in one year and collected in the next year.

How is the property tax rate calculated?
The estimated market value of your property, as determined by an appraisal process, supervised by the County Auditor, is multiplied by 35% to obtain the taxable value. The taxable value of the property is multiplied by the appropriate tax rate to establish the annual gross property tax. The gross tax is reduced by various rollbacks and reductions that vary based upon ownership, age and other factors to achieve a net tax. The net tax can be paid in a single, or in two installments.

What is the current property tax rate for residents and businesses of Brookville?
Tax rates are computed in mills. A mill is $1 for each $1,000 of taxable value.

Why does my property tax bill reflect an assessment?
In addition to property taxes, the tax bill may include separate charges or assessments for sidewalks, curbs, weed cutting, refuse and other improvements and/or delinquencies which vary by local practice and ordinance.

Who receives the proceeds from the local property tax?
The amount received by each government agency varies based upon the amount of approved levies and other factors.

When and where do I pay my property tax bill?
The property owner of record typically receives a property tax bill in January of each year. The tax bill can be paid in full by the due date in mid February, or one half of the property tax can be deferred until the due date in July.
All property taxes are payable to the Montgomery County Treasurer. Brookville residents should mail their property tax payments to:
Montgomery County Treasurer
451 West Third Street
P.O. Box 972
Dayton, Ohio 45422-0475

Which projects require permits?
Please call the city office at 937-833-2135 and ask for Zoning Officer Jim Snedker between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. E-mail

Satellite Dishes
Earth Stations
Storage Sheds
Gas Line
Home Occupation
Structural Remodeling
Patios/Patio Enclosures
Pools (Above ground and in ground)
New Business Construction
Heating and Air Conditioning
New Home Construction

How do I rent a park shelter?
Call 937-833-2135, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to check availability of shelters for rent at Golden Gate Park.
We have eight open-air shelters that are free on a first come-first serve basis.
We have four enclosed shelters that may be rented from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and again from 5:00 p.m. to midnight. All shelters may be rented all day, if available.
Christina Leiber Center – Large side fire capacity is 150 people and rents for $110.00/session (heated & air)
Christina Leiber Center – Kitchen side fire capacity is 35 people and rents for $70.00/session (heated and air)
The Christina Leiber Center may be rented as a whole building and rents for $170.00/session
Shelter #2 – near the pond – fire capacity is 75 people and rents for $85.00/session (heated and air)
Shelter #3 – first enclosed shelter on the left when entering the park – fire capacity is 99 people and rents for $85.00/session
Shelter #4 – shelter between the Castle playground and restrooms – fire capacity is 81 people and rents for $75.00/session (heated)
The gazebo is available to rent, for weddings only, at cost of $20.00/hour.

Does the City pickup bulky items?
Yes, the City picks up bulky items- items too large for the regular trash truck- every Tuesday and Friday. You must call 937-833-2135, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to be put on a list. Please place items where you normally set your refuse. Please call at least one day before. Pick up is weather permitting.

How can I purchase or rent one of the blue City of Brookville trash toters?
Call the City office at 937-833-2135. The cost is $60.00 to purchase and $2.50 per month to rent.

Does the City pick up tree limbs and brush?
Yes, call the City office at 937-833-2135, Monday – Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to be put on a list. Limbs need to be placed all in the same direction with the cut end facing the street, and in neat piles. Shrubs can be picked up if all of the dirt is removed from the roots. If the dirt cannot be removed, please remove the root from the shrub. The root will be picked up separately with bulky item pickup. Limbs are picked up, weather permitting, on Tuesdays. Please call at least one day in advance. Limb pickup is offered as a service to residents. We do not charge for the first ten minutes. Pickups requiring longer than ten minutes will incur a charge.

What Do I Do With Yard Waste?
Biodegradable yard waste bags can be purchased for $1.00 each at the city office, located at 301 Sycamore Street. Bags should be dropped off at the city garage on Tuesday’s from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday’s from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The garage is located at 700 Arlington Road, across from Rob’s Restaurant.

Can I dispose of paint in my regular trash?
Yes, only if the paint is dry and hardened. Place dry, hardened, opened paint cans along side your trash containers. The Montgomery County Solid Waste District accepts the following materials: latex paint, oil-based paint, thinners, turpentine, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, varnish, stain, aerosol paint cans and dry empty paint cans. Please contact the Recycle Hotline at 937-225-4999 for the hours of the North and South Incinerators.

Why did I receive a letter saying I have to get my water meter read?
Water meters must be read by an authorized representative at least once a year. If you received a letter, meter readers have not been able to gain access to the meter for at least nine months.

What number do I call to report my water meter reading?
Please call your meter reading in to the city office at 833-2135.

Why does my water bill say my usage was estimated?
There was no answer when the water meter reader came to your home so your usage had to be estimated based on past usage.

My house is vacant. Why am I still receiving a water bill?
As long as there is a water meter set in your home and we are ready to serve with water, you will receive the minimum bill per city ordinance. You can have the water meter pulled if you would like to discontinue billing. If the meter is pulled, you will not have any water, and refuse pick up will be discontinued until the meter is set again.

Why is my water bill so high?
If your water usage was estimated in a prior quarter(s), your usage may have been underestimated. Another reason could be a water leak somewhere in your home. The most common is a leaky toilet. Toilets that continually fill or fill until you jiggle the handle are like invisible leaks- until you get the water bill.

Who do I contact when my sewer backs up?
Please check with us first if your sewer backs up. Sometimes a sewer backup is within the sewer main line, which is Brookville’s responsibility to repair. Sewer backups in the lateral pipe leading from the home to the sewer main line are the homeowner’s responsibility. Please call us Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at 937-833-2135. After hours and weekends, call 937-833-4357(HELP).

What holidays are observed by the City of Brookville?
New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, Christmas Eve (one-half day), New Year’s Eve (one-half day). Refuse pickup that falls on a holiday will normally be picked up the following day along with that days refuse.

How do I get a blue recycling bin?
Call the City office at 937-833-2135. A recycling bin will be delivered to your house.